Charity Number – 1125179 


Here are some symptoms you may recognise if you've had traumatic experiences:

  • Work-related or relationship problems
  • Feeling numb and empty
  • Feeling suicidal
  • Self-harm and self-destructive tendencies
  • Avoidance of people and places
  • Panic attacks/anxiety/depression/mood swings
  • Feeling isolated
  • Frequent periods of withdrawal into oneself
  • Nightmares/flashbacks/insomnia
  • Anger or aggressive behaviour
  • Feeling distrustful and suspicious/blaming others
  • Misuse of alcohol/drugs/gambling and/or food
  • Seeking out high-risk/dangerous pursuits.

Often the symptoms are spotted by your family or close friends. Serving soldiers should speak in confidence to their Unit Welfare Officer, Padre or the Medical Officer, for veterans please get in touch with your local NHS Doctor. If you are having difficulty or you are having a tough time, there are a number of specialist civilian/military charity organisations to help you tackle the past and help you to take on the future. 


  • Military Mental Health Helpline (Open 24hrs) (Serving Personnel only) Tel: 0800 3234444
  • Combat Stress Tel: 0800 1381619
  • Forces line (Open 24hrs) Tel: 0800 3214880
  • Help For Heroes Hidden Wounds (Open 0900 to 1700 Mon-Fri) Tel: 0808 2020144
  • Big White Wall (Mental Health) (Anonymous web support only)
  • The Samaritans (Open 24hrs) Tel: 116 123, E-Mail:

Do not forget to seek help from your local NHS provider and Doctor.



Serving soldiers who find themselves in hardship should contact their Unit Welfare Officer.Veterans should contact one of the following organisations for help, be aware they will usually need to send out a Case Worker to interview you so that they can properly assess your needs:



Regimental Headquarters has had several personnel getting in touch asking how to become a Chelsea Pensioner. To be eligible for admission as a Chelsea Pensioner, a candidate must be a former non-commissioned officer or soldier of the British Army who is:

  • Over 65 years or of State Pension age (whichever is the greater)
  • Either in receipt of an Army Service Pension or War Disability Pension which you would be required to surrender upon entry to the Royal Hospital OR if you do not receive an Army Pension you would be required to make a weekly financial contribution (payable by Standing Order) towards your living costs. This contribution will be based on an assessment of affordability completed during the application process. Please note, if you are in receipt of an Army Service Pension and/or War Disability Pension you may also be required to make a top-up contribution (also based on an assessment of affordability)
  • Free of any financial obligation to support a spouse or family
  • To be able to live independently in the sheltered accommodation (Long Wards) – the Royal Hospital Chelsea is unable to accept direct entries to the nursing wards

More information can be found here.


For veterans requiring assistance with military pensions or medal issues, all enquires are to go through Veterans UK.

  • Veterans UK (0800 - 1700 Mon - Fri) Tel: 0808 1914218